Summer enrollment at Georgia Southern surpasses previous records
A record number of students attended summer session classes at Georgia Southern University in 2007 as nearly 1,000 additional students opted to enroll in more than 950 courses offered over the last two months. Final summer statistics show that the record number 8,830 students enrolled for a record number 59,085 credit hours, a 12.7 percent increase in students and 13.3 percent increase in credit hours from the same time period in 2006.
‘A survey of our students shows that they view summer as an opportunity to take additional courses that will allow them to complete degree programs more quickly,” said Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Linda Bleicken. ‘The variety of course offerings that we were able to provide obviously had great appeal for both graduates and undergraduates alike.”
The gain in summer enrollment for 2007 marks the eighth consecutive year of increases in the number of students and seventh consecutive year posting an increase in credit hours, dating back to the University’s conversion to semester terms for the academic year 1998-1999. The increases in both categories for 2007 far surpass posted numbers in the previous four years.
Georgia Southern offered more than 950 courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, ranging from the University’s core curriculum and electives to directed research and study abroad. While undergraduates comprised 81.7 percent of this year’s summer session attendees, graduate students and professionals returning to the classroom accounted for the other 18.3 percent.
Summer classes begin just a week after graduation in May and students register for courses for either or both of the two short-term semesters, A & B, which meet two hours every weekday for four weeks or during the long-term semester. Long-term classes, which generally include laboratory sessions, meet several times a week from mid-May through mid-July.