Georgia Southern University Expert Offers Tips for Enjoying a Safe Spring Break
This month, college students from around the country are taking a break from the books and heading to various vacation destinations for spring break.
Spring break is one of the most anticipated times of the year for college students; unfortunately, it also brings potential safety risks. Raymona Lawrence, director of Georgia Southern University’s Wellness Program, offers tips on how to enjoy a safe spring break and come home healthy.
- On the road: Buckle up! Take turns behind the wheel. Whoever sits in the front passenger seat should stay awake to keep the driver company. Make sure everyone has a valid driver’s license and the vehicle registration is in the car before driving off.
- On the beach: Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. If you start feeling faint or light-headed, get shade and water immediately. Don’t be a lobster – use sunscreen of at least SPF 15 and reapply often. And for some environmental wellness, pick up your trash and place it in the proper containers before you leave.
- While swimming: Jumping into the water without a lifeguard is risky. Even the most experienced swimmer can get caught in an undertow. In case you get caught in a rip current, don’t try swimming against it. Instead, swim parallel to shore until the rip passes.
- Going out: Be responsible. If you are of legal drinking age and plan to consume alcohol, drink only in moderation. Make sure you have a designated driver and only take drinks from people you know very well. The cardinal rule of social wellness is this – go out with your friends, go home with your friends. Look out for one another to make sure everyone gets home safely. Also be on the lookout for signs of predatory drugs: extreme wooziness, confusion, difficulty standing and slurring speech.
- For a little spiritual wellness: Just relax! Read a book. Listen to some music. Do a little of nothing!
‘Remember these tips when you’re on break. Live safe, live well, and, most of all, enjoy your spring break journey!” Lawrence said.