Building a Society for Giving
The University Foundation’s giving societies provide recognition of the generous support of alumni and friends at all levels of giving. These donors help to advance the University’s mission by providing funds for scholarships, internships, faculty support and initiatives that enhance teaching, research, cultural activities and economic development.
Giving society designations for the Foundation were revamped in 2012, along with the creation of the Office of Donor Relations, to focus on recognizing three methods of giving: annual giving, lifetime giving and deferred giving.
The Marvin S. Pittman Society was formed to recognize Georgia Southern’s most distinguished and loyal supporters. Named after one of the University’s most transformational and visionary leaders, the Society represents the highest level of recognition and achievement. Recognition and membership begins when donations reach $25,000. Within the Marvin Pittman Society are the following donor designations:
- President’s Club – lifetime giving of $1 million or more
- Founders’ Guild – lifetime giving of $500,000–$999,999
- Southern Fellows – lifetime giving of $250,000–$499,999
- Sweetheart Circle – lifetime giving of $100,000–$249,999
- Lantern Walk – lifetime giving of $25,000–$99,999
The 1906 Annual Giving Society has shifted its focus to one of annual giving. Receiving annual support often has the greatest impact on an organization’s fundraising efforts. The 1906 Society fosters an appreciation of annual gifts of $1,200 or more.
The 1906 Society donor designation has four levels, each named in honor of the first administrator and first three faculty members hired upon the founding of the University:
- Hendricks Level – $10,000–$24,999, named for Principal J. Walker Hendricks
- Harper Level – $5,000–$9,999, named for teacher Otto Tauber Harper
- Rowan Level – $2,500–$4,999, named for teacher Frank M. Rowan
- Shiffer Level – $1,200–$2,499, named for teacher Josephine Schiffer
- Blue and White Associate Level – $300–$600, for graduates of the last decade/young alumni
The Soaring Eagles Legacy Society allows Georgia Southern the ability to recognize and acknowledge individuals who have chosen to remember Georgia Southern in their estate plans. These members demonstrate an unwavering confidence in Georgia Southern by making deferred gifts that will come to the University at a future date. The Soaring Eagles Legacy Society allows Georgia Southern to express its gratitude now so that our donors can understand the impact that their gift will have on the University in the future.
Comments are closed.