- Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing, Wilkes University
- Bachelor of Arts, Media Communication, Florida State University
Areas of Specialization
Magazine features writing, editing, publications management, marketing and communications strategy, advertising copy, speeches, executive correspondence
Michael Soloway joined the Office of Marketing and Communications in March 2014. As assistant director of university publications and editor of Georgia Southern Magazine, Soloway provides administrative and creative leadership of the University’s award-winning alumni magazine. In addition, he supervises the production of all internal and external University publications, including departmental newsletters, marketing materials and the University annual report.
Before joining Georgia Southern, Soloway ran Blue Merle Media, a media relations firm he founded that specializes in educational nonprofit publication development. Over the past 20 years, Soloway has edited more than two dozen magazines and literary journals, including Northern Vision magazine for the University of Northern Colorado. He has also provided both editorial and artistic direction for the Community College of Denver, The Potomac School, Virginia Tech University, and was a key writer/editor in the NASA Public Affairs Office during the Space Shuttle Columbia accident in 2003.
With an M.F.A. in creative writing, Soloway’s creative nonfiction has appeared in more than 10 online literary magazines. He’s been nominated for the Sundress Press Best of the Net Anthology, and his most recent stage play, “I Love You, Lynn Swann” was produced by the Pittsburgh New Works Festival and Horizon Theatre in 2013.
A native of Florida, Soloway is a member of the Association of Writing Professionals (AWP), Dramatists Guild, Theatre Communications Group (TCG), The Playwrights’ Center, and American Marketing Association (AMA).
Nominations and Awards
- “Sticks and Stones,” Sundress Press Best of the Net Nomination, 2013
- Gold Award – Editorial Photography, Council for Support and Advancement of Education (CASE), “Excellence in Photojournalism,” 2008
- Grand Award – Magazine Re-design, Council for Support and Advancement of Education (CASE), “Visual Design: Improvement in Design,” 2006
- Special Merit Award, Individual Photograph, Council for Support and Advancement of Education (CASE), 2006
- State of Florida Specialty License Plate Design, Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches, 1999