Georgia Southern’s Eagle Battalion Ranger Challenge Team Takes 2nd Place at 6th BDE
Georgia Southern University’s Eagle Battalion Ranger Challenge team placed second overall at the 6th Brigade Army ROTC Ranger Challenge competition held at Camp Blanding, Florida on Jan. 21-22.
The Rancher Challenge Team, which won the Georgia state championship back in October, joined other state champions from across the 6th Brigade including the University of Florida, University of Alabama, University of Mississippi, Louisiana State University and Puerto Rico – Mayaguez.
Georgia Southern finished first in both the weapons assembly and night land navigation. The University of Alabama took top honors and will represent the 6th Brigade in April at the United States Military Academy’s Sandhurst competition.
“This year we had a solid team. We trained hard all year, and I think we showed the other teams that we were a physical and tactical powerhouse during the competition,” said Team Captain and student David Adler. “I expect that in future years this team will continue to win state and compete in and win the brigade competition. The future of Georgia Southern Ranger Challenge will only go up from here, and it won’t be long before this team will be competing at Sandhurst.”
The competition included an Army physical fitness test, hand grenade assault course, basic rifle marksmanship, triage, rope bridge, weapons assembly, night land navigation and a 10K ruck march.
Team members included:
- Adler – MS IV – Mechanical Engineering – Marietta, Georgia
- Grant Allen – MS I – Political Science – Hahira, Georgia
- Luc Aviles – MS III – Construction Management – Suffern, New York
- Aaron Bohan – MS III – Justice Studies – Cumming, Georgia
- William Eberhart – MS II – Nursing – Rome, Georgia
- John Dudley – MS IV – Exercise Science – Villa Rica, Georgia
- Caleb Herd – MS II – Civil Engineering – Lancaster, Ohio
- Dakota Jones – MS III – Finance – Reidsville, Georgia
- Madison Stewart – MS III – International Studies – Senoia, Georgia
- Tania Camacho (Alternate) – MS III – Accounting – Hinesville, Georgia
- Sean de la Torre (Alternate) – MS II – History – Hinesville, Georgia
Georgia Southern University, a public Carnegie Doctoral/Research University founded in 1906, offers more than 125 degree programs serving 20,674 students. Through eight colleges, the University offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs built on more than a century of academic achievement. Georgia Southern is recognized for its student-centered and hands-on approach to education. Visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu.