The Campus Calendar is a communication tool and an information source for students, faculty and staff, and community members interested in learning more about events at Georgia Southern University. The design of the Campus Calendar allows participants to view happenings in one convenient location.
Posting guidelines are in place to ensure that this communication tool is user-friendly, organized and operated in the most effective way possible. Several categories have been set up to allow users to filter information. These categories also provide calendar feeds for college, department, center and program websites.
Using the Campus Calendar
Designated representatives from each area can post events directly to the Campus Calendar. If you don’t have access to post events, please send your event information to your area’s content owner or communications officer. You can also request calendar posting privileges from your web content owner.
To submit a new calendar item, go to the Campus Calendar and click the Submit New link in the top, right hand corner of your screen. Sign in with your MyGeorgiaSouthern credentials. Complete the requested fields. You will be able to designate which calendar your event appears on based on your permissions.
- The title and content of your post should be typed using sentence case. No caps lock, please.
- Registration information should not be posted in the title of your event, rather in the description.
- Contact information should always be included.
Due to the large number of listings, we request that you list your event by the beginning event date only. For example, if your event is taking place Monday, June 10 – June 30, please only list it in the “When” category from June 10 – June 10. You may post the duration of your event (June 10-30) within the “Description” category. This avoids multiple, cluttered postings from appearing every consecutive day on the calendar.
Detailed Posting Instructions
- Prepare the event information you wish to enter on the Campus Calendar.
- Log in to the Campus Calendar:
- Go to calendar.georgiasouthern.edu and click the Submit New link in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Enter your MyGeorgiaSouthern username and password.
- Select either Faculty/Staff or Student depending on your status.
- Once logged in to the calendar, enter the following information about your event:
- Calendar Item Name (required) –
- Name of the event.
- Note that this is the only field that will display on most of our websites, other than the date, so it needs to be clear enough to stand on its own, i.e. “Intramural Cornhole and Tennis Doubles Registration Opens” instead of “Registration Opens.”
- Description – Enter details/registration information regarding the event.
- When (required)
- Click in the date box to select the event date from a pop-up calendar.
- Once date is selected, corresponding events will display in the area below the When fields. Do not submit a duplicate of an existing event.
- Enter the start and end time followed by a.m. or p.m. or use 24-hour notation.
- Where (optional)
- Building – use drop down field to select the location of the event.
- Specific Location – use if location is not present in the Building drop down or to include room numbers, etc.
- Enter Street/City/State
- Whom to Contact (optional) – Contact or department name that will be responsible for fielding inquiries about event(s). Phone numbers should include the complete 10-digit number including the area code.
- Required Calendars – Select the appropriate calendars for event(s). Note: some areas may use their calendars to feed a specific webpage. See “Main Calendars” below for more information.
- Permissions & Settings
- Allow Comments – similar to Facebook
- Allow RSVP – raw count of individuals that said they may attend, does not reserve a seat or collect payment
- Use the Live Preview to ensure the event information is correct.
- Click Submit Calendar Item to publish the event to the calendar.
Calendar Style Guide
Short, concise entries are suggested. If you have additional information, such as forms, these materials should be referenced at a provided URL where the information resides. It is a best practice to keep a consistent entry format for your events by using a naming convention identified by your areas and administrators (i.e., the word “Training” for training events, etc.).
Every calendar entry must include the required fields: Name, Date, Point of Contact and must designate the calendar on which the event should appear. The rest of the information should be captured in the narrative/description section:
- Who is the audience for the event? (for example, entire Georgia Southern community, students, faculty and staff)
- Purpose: Describe the event/program/project
- Cost: Note if the event is free or if there is a registration fee, when applicable
To assist you in writing your item, use the Editorial Style Guide published by the Office of Marketing & Communications.
Please contact your area’s content owner for assistance with the Campus Calendar.
Last updated: 12/14/2015