Georgia Southern at a Glance
- School Mascot: GUS and Freedom
- Campuses: 3 — Statesboro, Armstrong Campus in Savannah, Liberty Campus in Hinesville
- Regional Economic Impact: More than $1 billion
- Statesboro Campus Student/Faculty Ratio: 21:1
- Armstrong & Liberty Campus Student/Faculty Ratio: 16:1
- Athletics: NCAA Division 1, Sun Belt Conference, 17 Varsity Sports
Student Profile (Fall 2019)
Most Popular Majors
- Exercise Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Elementary Education
Georgia Counties Representing Largest Enrollment
States Representing Largest Enrollment
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- New York/Texas
Things You Should Know
- Named “Military-Friendly” Gold school for the seventh year in a row in by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs, STEM Jobs and Military Spouse magazines
- Georgia Southern University has been included on the prestigious Green Ribbon Schools list by the U.S. Department of Education
- For the eighth year in a row, Georgia Southern University was named one of the nation’s top eco-friendly campuses in The Princeton Review’s Guide to 399 Green Colleges
- Included in the “50 Best Nonprofit Colleges and Universities for Online Doctorates” by Nonprofit College Online
- For the second year in a row, Georgia Southern University has been recognized as a “Gold Level Campus” by Exercise is Medicine® on Campus (EIM®-OC) for the University’s diligence to make physical activities a standard on campus.
- Ranked number one in the best schools for military students by Best for Vets Colleges.
- Ranked number one in “Best Online Master’s in Educational Leadership Program” by OnlineMasters.com
- Georgia Southern ranked in the top 5 percent of schools for gender diversity according to College Factual.
- Georgia Southern University is number two among “Most Affordable Colleges in Georgia” by College Affordability Guide.
- Georgia Southern’s Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health was the first such facility in the University System of Georgia and is one of only 48 in the country to be accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
- The Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing is home to the first undergraduate Manufacturing Engineering program in the state of Georgia, one of only 20 such programs nationwide.
- Georgia Southern is one of only 14 schools in the country that have both the National Security Agency/Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center designation as a Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence. Georgia Southern also maintains a Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence as an academic training partner for the U.S. Army Cyber workforce
- The Waters College of Health Professions is ranked number one in the “20 Most Affordable Online BSN Degrees” by College Choice, number two in the “10 Most Affordable Doctorate in Nurse Practitioner Online” and number two in the “10 Most Affordable Doctorate in Nurse Practitioner Online” by Grad School Hub.
For more information, visit Points of Pride and the University Fact Book. Data reflects combined numbers of Armstrong State and Georgia Southern.
Last updated: 12/16/2019